Frequently Asked Questions about Travellers Cheque
Are the Travellers Cheque globally acceptable?
The Traveller Cheques are accepted worldwide more than 200,000 locations spread across 210 countries. They can either be encashed or used at Exchange bureaus, Banks, Hotels Shops, Restaurants and other establishments, thereby making your travel smooth and bother free.
What are the safety features on the Foreign Currency Travellers Cheque?
Every Travellers Cheque issued are secured and has Signature based Security to ensure your money is secure in your hands. Hence, even if they are lost, they cannot be used unless the signatures on your Travellers Cheque and at the encashment point/merchant establishment match along with that on the Photo ID proof.
In case you lose your Travellers Cheque, you can easily report it by following the simple process outlined below:
- Locate serial numbers. Have the serial numbers for your lost or stolen Travelers Cheque on hand when you call the Customer Service.
- Call the Travellers Cheque Customer Service Centre as soon as possible to register the loss and open a claim. Use the search tool on to the right to find the customer service number for your current location. Service Centers handle claims 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
- Plan delivery: During this call, the customer service center will help determine the best way for you to obtain a refund. Refunds are available at Travel Service Offices and partner locations around the world.
*Terms, conditions and restrictions apply. Identification and proof of purchase required.
Where do I sign the Travellers Cheques when I receive them?
When you receive the Travellers Cheques you must sign them immediately, in the upper left-hand corner. This protects in the event of the Travellers Cheque being lost or stolen at any time.
How do I encash Travellers Cheque?
Simply present the Travellers Cheque(s) at the bank, agent or retailer where you wish to encash it. Countersign the Travellers Cheque(s) in the presence of the Acceptor, ensuring that they see you countersign.
When do I fill out the date on my Travellers Cheque?
The date, in the bottom right-hand corner, should be filled out upon use of the Travellers Cheque, just like a personal cheque. Once you have dated the Travellers Cheque it will need to be used within 6 months.
What happens if my signatures do not match?
The acceptor will usually allow you to re-sign the Travellers Cheque on the back, and then compare the signatures. If the acceptor is unsure, they will call the respective source to obtain authorization.
If I return to the UK with some unused Travellers Cheques, what should I do with them?
You can either use them on your next trip, or alternatively you can take them into any Post Office or high street bureau de change outlet that offers buy back facilities and exchange them for Sterling cash. Please note, buy back rates will differ from the sell rates.
Can I use my Travellers Cheques in shops, hotels, etc?
Travellers Cheques can be exchanged for local currency at banks and currency exchanges. Often in the USA and sometimes elsewhere, you can use your Travellers Cheques like cash to pay directly for products and services at accepting retailers, restaurants and hotels. Outside the USA, such usage is less common. Always check with the retailer first.
When the full face value of the Travellers Cheque is not used, is the change returned?
Yes, Travellers Cheques are just like cash, but safer, so when the full face value of the Travellers Cheque is not used the change is returned as cash in the local currency.
Do I need any forms of identification to encash or purchase goods with Travellers Cheque?
In most cases you do not need any form of identification to encash or purchase goods with Travellers Cheques as long as your counter signature matches that given on the cheque. However, some banks and merchants may ask for photo ID proof for security purposes.
Is there a fee to encash Travellers Cheque at banks, agents or retailers?
Commission charges may apply and can vary by country or by the encashing bank, agent or retailer. Banks apply their own encashment policy when providing encashment and exchange transactions.
Should I use Travellers Cheque instead of foreign bank note currencies, credit cards or ATMs?
It is advisable to take a variety of payment methods with you when you travel. The benefits of Travellers Cheque are as follows:
- They are like cash but safer.
- They can be used as cash in many shops, hotels and restaurants around the world.
- They can be replaced easily if lost or stolen.
- They have no expiry date so can be kept for your next trip, unless you date them and then they are only valid for six months.
- As they have insurance benefits, credit cards could be used for purchasing.
- Small amounts of foreign currency should also be carried to cover expenses of travelling to your destination, such as refreshments, taxis, etc.
- Use of credit /debit cards at ATMs allow you to obtain currency as you need it but in most cases you will gain additional charges for making a transaction abroad, for a cash advance and in some cases for use of the ATM.
If I return to the UK with some unused foreign currency, what should I do with it?
Unused currency can be exchanged for Sterling at Post Office branches, banks and many high street bureau de change outlets.
What is the validity period of the Foreign Currency Travellers Cheque?
Valid forever! You can save unused Travellers Cheque for future trips also.
Are Travellers Cheque outdated?
Some would argue that debit, credit and prepaid cards have surpassed the traveller’s cheque. In remote areas traveller’s cheque are of no value at all as they can be difficult to cash in. However, they still have their uses elsewhere.
What if Travellers Cheque are lost or stolen?
To report, please call the phone number as shown on your Travellers Cheque wallet at the earliest opportunity. Please have your Travellers Cheque serial numbers to hand when you call for refund assistance. Once your claim for refund is authorised, Travellers Cheque will be refunded or replaced worldwide.